21/03/2010

Week 8 (Week Beginning 15/03/10)

Polishing

Not the most exciting of weeks spent the whole week polishing the piece I had just gotten out the kiln. I definitely prefer the look of this new one to the one from last week, I still want to get both polished up for practice but I will be making this new one a priority.

While all this exciting hand lapping is going on the other piece is still wiggling away on the vibraplap and taking forever . I did take it off and hand lap it for a bit but it chipped several times even when I had beveled down the sides. Starting to get annoyed with this one...


I like 600 grit its soooooo smooth, like rubbing silk on silk...And one step closer to shiny.

At the end of the week the new piece (one on the right) was at 600 grit ready for the pumice wheel next week and the other piece I had hand lapped up to 320 after getting fed up of waiting for the vibralap to do it.

When I got the glass out of the kiln last week I needed to cut off the excess glass so I covered the glass in plaster and set it up in the lap saw. I managed to get the plaster off the glass in one piece, I thought it was quite interesting so I've kept it, might help me develop my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment