07/03/2010

Week 5 (Week Begining 22/02/10)

Composition

After working on carving some new shapes I decided to work on how I could put the pieces together to create a final composition. None of these will be how the piece will finally look because I plan to make bigger pieces and the carving will be different.

I like the idea of having the curve going from one shape to another as if it is flowing through from one shape to the next and each piece having a different carving so each one is like an individual piece.

Investment Mould

I wanted to start getting this shape into glass. I will again be using the lost wax method to make my mould then use kiln casting to make get the glass into the shape. I made two of these mould so if one goes wrong I will have a back up or as I plan to use casting billets if I don't like the way the piece looks I can use a different method of casting them i.e. I could use one to do an open cast and the other using a flower pot to do a reservoir cast as I have done before. To make the mould I used a mixture of 2Kg of Plaster, 2Kg of Silica and 1.2Kg of HT mixed with 4liters of water. After the moulds has solidified I removed the clay from the bottom of the piece and steamed out the wax. To get the last bits of wax out of the mould I poured in cold water to get the wax to float to the top of the mould. The mould was then left in the drying cupboard. When its dry I will be able to cast into it. I really wanted this mould to be clean and dry to prevent any dirt or bubbles getting in to the glass.

Gaffer Casting Billets

In the arcitectual glass room there is this board of samples of casting billets I know I want to use clear and a blue colour in my work but I'm not sure yet. these are the blue colours that are avalible:
There are some other colours on the gaffer site called pale copper blue and pale jade green that I have looked at.

No comments:

Post a Comment