09/02/2010

Week 3 (Week Beginning 08/02/10)

Plaster Models

On the left is an image of the gleflex mould I made last semester of a plaster form I had cut and smoother out. At the end of week 2 I made a wax for lost wax casting from this mould and saw that it was staring to look a bit shabby and I realised I should have cast the gelflex into a triangular shape the fit the shape of the plaster model. As I ended up flat bedding off a lot more than I would have liked to on my kiln cast glass piece of the same shape I wanted to try to re make the mould, so I decided to pour plaster into the mould, now looking back on this I don't think I was such a good Idea because as I have been trying to smooth down the edges and it had taken a lot of time and effort, and I'm still not happy that the edges arn't completly flat. And as I have been polishing down the sides the shape has been getting smaller and I dont think that it looks as good as the original. I have been thinking about trying to make the piece again using different methods, like re cutting the piece on the band saw by measuring out the shape with a little etra to the size to alow for polishing or another idea I've had is to use alginate to take a mould of the glass piece as I'm happy with the shape and flatness of it then use the alginated to make a new plaster model.

No comments:

Post a Comment