08/02/2010

Week 2 (Week Beginning 01/02/10) Continued

Kiln Casting

This week I was able to take the glass I had casted the Friday before out of the kiln. When I first looked into the kiln I was very impressed with my cast, there were very few bubbles, it was very clear and I couldn't see any signs of devitrification on the surface.
All the glass had flowed through the flower pot and there was a little too much, fortunately I had made the mould to accommodate for a little extra glass.
When I took the flower pot a
nd the kiln shelves it was resting on off the mould you could see where the kiln shelf had been and that the way the glass had flowed out the mould had pushed the copper oxide out to the corners of the mould, before I put the mould in to the kiln I sievedd the copper oxide power all over the mould to get the blue copper colour all around the piece.
When I got the glass out of the mould I really liked the way the copper oxide looked like it was bleeding into the center of the glass like routes or veinesss. This has inspired the idea of combining my arcitectualll forms with organic forms and textures like glass artists Colin Ried and Sue Nixon.
and model making.

There were some lumps on the surface and they weren't all completely flat as the shape had warped when it had the gel flex mould taken of it, I may make a plaster mould next time I work with these angular shapes so I don't lose too much of the surface colour or detail. But before I could start polishing I needed to remove the overflow from the glass, my original idea was to put the piece in plaster and put the it in to the lap saw but I was worried that the corner with acute angles would chip or break off. I asked around a few people for their opinion, the solution I settled for was to flatten of one of the edges so the bottom of the piece, it needed to be flat and at a 90 so that it could be pushed through the glass band saw.
The glass wasn't
completely flat after it was cut so I flat bedded where it had been cut off and the other two largest surfaces because they weren't very flat either and there were a few lumps on there too. The glass was flat bedded on a 120grit bed, then polished down the edges on the linisher so that they wouldn't be so weak or chip too. I left the smaller surfaces because I wanted to keep some of the cast surface and colour, when I flat bedded the piece I ground away a lot of colour trying to get the piece flat.
Below is an image of the piece after it was flat bedded, I left it a bit wet when I took the photo to show the colours in it and how it would look when I start to polish it some more. I need to get more practice polishing ready for when I make my piece to display at the degree show and new designers.
I am not sure what to make of this piece, I like to think of my work as art pieces but there seems to be a need for my work to also have a function rather than, just be a piece of art work, I have considered thinking of it as being a piece of lighting but I'm not sure that this is what I want for my work. I have also thought about using the shape rather than just using it in glass sculpture and thinking of how it could work in another context. I have thought about designing contemporary bathroom fitting material fitting, for example I think this would make if the shape was adjusted sligtly and hollowed out the shape would make a very modern and interesting shaped sink or bath. I have also thought about using my hot cast pieces for lighting or as small windows, I think the the hot casting process would be more fitted to working with product design because it is easier to make multiples and there isn't as much polishing needed as there is in kiln casting.


For now I have named the piece Sven, as it is my baby so it should be named not sure why but me and Miss Clark came to the conclusion that is looked Swedish. Until next time, it good bye from me and it's good bye Sven (It's late and I'm sleepy)

No comments:

Post a Comment